The Catholic Church in Italy on Tuesday launched its annual income tax share campaign. A total of ten Internet and TV videos were produced for the occasion.
In addition, articles are published in the press, posters and radio. The message of the campaign is: “Do an act of charity,” said the general secretary of the Italian Bishops’ Conference, Archbishop Giuseppe Batory, in his presentation last week. With their contribution to income tax, people can do something good for others.
Unlike Germany, church members are not charged an additional tax in Italy. Instead, all taxpayers – regardless of their religious affiliation – submit 0.8 percent of the tax they would have to pay anyway for social and cultural purposes. You can choose from the state and several religious sponsors, including the Catholic Church, various Protestant churches, and Jewish, Hindu and Buddhist associations – but there is no NGO or socio-political institution.
In the current videos, the Catholic Church shows projects supported by the income from the 0.8 percent tax. They include a dormitory for single mothers with underage children, a food bank, and a homeless shelter. Money should also flow to repairing churches and enabling relief measures abroad.
According to the Bishops’ Conference, the new campaign cost about 1 million euros. The Catholic Church in Italy receives about 1 billion euros annually from the contribution, which is known by the motto “Otto per mile” (“eight out of a thousand”). In Germany, ecclesiastical tax revenues for the Catholic Church amounted to €6.73 billion in 2021.
According to the Italian Ministry of Finance, nearly 60 percent of Italians choose no carrier at all. Your contribution will be distributed according to the key specified by the remaining 40 percent or so. Those who choose most often choose the Catholic Church (70 percent). In second place is the country (24 percent). Critics complain that, contrary to what the Church suggests in its commercials, only a small part flows into social projects and a large part goes to priests.
“Food practitioner. Bacon guru. Infuriatingly humble zombie enthusiast. Total student.”
The entrepreneur must pay a fine of 121,000 euros »Ledersent
Deforestation in the Brazilian rainforest has decreased dramatically
“Borders have become sorting machines”