US Republican Mike Pence has dropped his bid for the presidency
Former US Vice President Mike Pence no longer wants to be US President.
Former US Vice President Mike Pence no longer wants to be US President. The Republican announced Saturday in Las Vegas that he is withdrawing from the party’s internal race to run for president next year.
“This is not my time. After much prayer and consideration, I have decided to drop my campaign for president as of today,” the 64-year-old said. Pence was trailing so far in the polls that his campaign was having trouble raising money, according to media reports. “It’s going to be a tough fight.” “We always knew, but I have no regrets,” he said.
Republican candidates led by former US President Donald Trump are in the field. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and former US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley are also running.
Republicans choose their nominee in an intraparty primary. US President Joe Biden is running for re-election among Democrats. Since he is in office, he is unlikely to face tough competition within the party during the election campaign. (dpa)
“Amateur coffee fan. Travel guru. Subtly charming zombie maven. Incurable reader. Web fanatic.”