In East Africa, it seems, there was another coup attempt on Monday morning. In a message on the official page of the Ministry of Information on Facebook, the ministry said that Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok had kidnapped him at an unknown location. The military has declared a state of emergency in the northeastern African country and wants the government to be dissolved. Immediately a resistance formed, and doctors reported injuries.
Major General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan also announced the dissolution of the Sovereignty Council, which has so far led the transition to democracy, and includes civilians and military personnel. Burhan, who was himself the head of the council, announced the measure in a televised speech by saying that peace and security in Sudan are at risk.
The army had to work to protect the security of the country. The military will continue its democratic transition until power is transferred to an elected civilian government. Announce elections in July 2023. Until then, Sudan must be led by an independent government.
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of demonstrators are protesting the army’s takeover of the government. The demonstrators defied the barriers of the security forces and headed to the military headquarters. The German News Agency (dpa) correspondent reported on the site on Monday. Regular shooting was heard in the capital; The barricades caught fire. The demonstrators demanded the withdrawal of the army from the government and democratic reforms.
According to the doctors, there were also violent clashes during the protests. A Facebook medical panel said at least 12 people had been infected. Details are not mentioned. According to the Ministry of Information, which appears to be still under the control of government supporters, tens of thousands of opponents of the coup took to the streets of the capital, Khartoum, after his call for resistance.
According to a Facebook message from the Ministry of Information, Hamdok refused to support the coup and called on the Sudanese people to “adhere to peace and occupy the streets to defend the revolution.” She added that members of the transitional government and a number of ministers were also arrested.
The army stormed the headquarters of radio and television stations in Omdurman, near the capital, Khartoum, and arrested employees there. Important bridges must be closed. According to the British organization Netblocks, which documents internet blackouts around the world, the internet, the mobile network and parts of the fixed network have been down since Monday morning.
After the first reports of the coup attempt, the US appeared “extremely concerned” and threatened to withhold aid. The US special envoy to the region, Jeffrey Feltman, wrote on Twitter that any violent coup would undermine the democratic aspirations of the Sudanese people and would be “completely unacceptable”. In a statement, the UN Special Representative for Sudan, Volker Perthes, also expressed his “deep concern” and called on the two sides to engage in dialogue. German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas declared that “another coup attempt must be clearly condemned.”
The tone has intensified among the civilian members of the transitional government and the army in recent weeks. According to government information, there was indeed a coup attempt on September 21. Since then, the political situation in Sudan has worsened. There have been protests for weeks. The demonstrators called on the army to withdraw from the government and implement democratic reforms.
Sudan was ruled by Omar al-Bashir for nearly 30 years. The long-term ruler was removed from office in April 2019 due to months of mass protests and a military coup. As a result, the military and the civilian opposition agreed on a joint transitional government that would pave the way for elections.
“Food practitioner. Bacon guru. Infuriatingly humble zombie enthusiast. Total student.”