An Australian teenager died in hospital on Monday, a week after being stabbed by a “box of jellyfish” in Queensland.
The incident happened when the boy was swimming at Patterson Point near the city of Bamaga.
This type of jellyfish lives in tropical and subtropical waters around Australia Large Norwegian Encyclopedia. Contact with tents three meters long is very dangerous for humans.
– We failed
A spokesman for Downsville Hospital said the boy had been rushed to hospital in critical condition. Queensland police have confirmed the death of a 17-year-old man on Monday, Australia has said ABC.
According to Dr. Lisa-Ann Gershwin, a marine biologist and jellyfish expert, the death of a 17-year-old could have been prevented with better resources and knowledge for remote communities.
– We must be better as a nation. There are educational programs, “stingers” networks, safety wear. He says these are the things we use in the most populous areas of Queensland, such as Cairns, Downsville and Mackay. Defender.
In the area where the boy was stabbed, not so.
– We do not have these plans, I think we have missed our remote communities. We have failed this poor young man and his family and community are paying the price for it.
According to Australian media, this is the first death caused by a 15-year-old cube jellyfish. According to Gershwin, the previous death also occurred in Bamaga.
According to 7 News This death is said to have been caused by the genus Chironox flexi the. According to SNL, deaths are particularly caused by this Australian species, which is classified as the most venomous animal in the world.
After the incident, Torres and Cape went out together with the hospital and health service Warning.
“The recent incident in Bamaga is a timely warning to take precautionary measures when swimming in the sea in northern waters,” Dr. Marlowe Coates said.
Also, I find Dr. Coates observing both cube jellyfish and other jellyfish that can cause bipolar disorder in water.
– If you do not have a safety case and you know there may be jellyfish in the water, do not go outside, he said.
Jellyfish that can cause bipolar disorder have been found off the north coast of Australia, from Fraser Island in Queensland, to Broom in the northern part of Western Australia, according to the Northern Region website.
Symptomatic jellyfish bites develop anywhere from a few minutes to 45 minutes. It can cause nausea, headaches, cramps in the back and abdomen, dizziness and difficulty breathing, the hospital said.
– It is also important for people to be familiar with the methods of resuscitation – The doctor said that rapid resuscitation after large sticks from cube jellyfish has saved lives in recent years.
Rachel (10) survived
From October 1 to May 31 it is often seen that there are cube jellyfish in the water Website.
There is poison in their tents that can kill a person in five minutes. Millions of “stick” cells cover each tent, and these release toxins when they come in contact with the skin.
A large amount of poison can cause a heart attack in a matter of minutes, especially in young children, according to the website.
In 2010, Rachel Shortlow, a 10-year-old from Australia, escaped a collision with the deadly cube jellyfish Chironex speckery. It is historically significant.
– Jamie Seymour, professor of zoology and tropical ecology at James Cook University at the time, said he did not know of a single case in which someone in the literature survived after being burned in such detail.
– When I saw the pictures of the wounds, I thought: “To be honest, this woman should not be alive”, he added.
“Amateur coffee fan. Travel guru. Subtly charming zombie maven. Incurable reader. Web fanatic.”