Socialpost

Complete News World

Hope for a ceasefire in Sudan, the United States is concerned about …

Hope for a ceasefire in Sudan, the United States is concerned about …

In the power struggle between two of Sudan’s top generals, the commander of the Rapid Support Unit has called for a 24-hour ceasefire. A US diplomatic convoy has come under fire before.

In the power struggle between two of Sudan’s top generals, RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo has called for a 24-hour ceasefire. “The Rapid Support Forces have agreed to a ceasefire so civilians and the wounded can be evacuated,” Dagalo said on Twitter early Monday. A general in the Rapid Support Forces, Sham al-Din al-Kabbashi, told Al-Arabiya TV that two neighboring countries would support the units. However, Al-Kabbashi did not say which countries it was.

Sudanese Army Major General Shams al-Din al-Kabbashi told Al-Arabiya TV, on Tuesday, that two neighboring countries are trying to provide assistance to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, without naming the two countries. The ceasefire agreed with the army begins at 6 p.m. and is scheduled to last 24 hours.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken previously spoke to both Daglo and de facto President Abdel Fattah al-Burhan by phone. During the phone calls, Blinken urged both rival sides for a truce. “Too many civilians have already died. I stressed the importance of ensuring the safety of diplomats and aid workers,” Blinken said on Twitter Monday morning. At first, Al-Burhan did not comment on a temporary ceasefire. Several attempts at a ceasefire initially failed on Sunday and Monday, according to the UN special envoy to Sudan, Volker Berthes.

Diplomatic convoy under fire

Blinken said Tuesday morning that a US diplomatic convoy came under fire during the fighting. The US Secretary of State said the convoy appeared to have been launched on Monday by gunmen linked to the Rapid Support Forces. The people in the convoy are safe. The EU ambassador had already been attacked at his residence on Monday. The European Union’s foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, condemned the incident as a flagrant violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. He said on Twitter that the security of diplomatic facilities and personnel is a primary responsibility of the Sudanese authorities and an obligation under international law.

See also  Protests in Iran: Over 120 investigations launched

The health system is collapsing

In light of the continuing fighting, relief organizations warned Tuesday of bottlenecks in supplies to the population. The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Society in Geneva said it was “almost impossible” to provide assistance in the capital, Khartoum. From Khartoum, they have received calls from organizations and individuals to start evacuations, Farid Ayyur, who is responsible for Sudan at the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, explained to reporters via video link from Nairobi. Ayur said Sudan’s health system is already on the verge of collapse.

The World Health Organization (WHO) also issued a similar statement and reported three attacks on health facilities in which at least three people were killed. “Attacks on the health system are a flagrant violation of human rights,” said WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris, calling for an immediate halt to such action. Amnesty International called on the parties to the conflict to respect international law and protect civilians. Amnesty International called in a radio broadcast that humanitarian organizations should be given immediate, unfettered and permanent access to the conflict zone.

185 people were killed

Fighting broke out on Saturday. According to the United Nations, at least 185 people were killed and more than 1,800 civilians and soldiers were injured. According to observers, the conflict was triggered by a dispute over the integration of the RSF into the army as part of the transition to a civilian government. The army staged a coup in October 2021 and has ruled the country since then.

Several parts of the country witnessed heavy weapons attacks on military installations, some of them in the immediate vicinity of residential areas. Observers warn of a high number of civilian casualties. Public life in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, has come to an almost complete halt since the fighting began.

See also  Is Elke Heidenreich's criticism justified?

international organizations.

(APA/Reuters)