Chrome OS isn’t the most populous option, but there are a few things you can do to make your Chromebook desktop look and function the way you want.
Customize your Chromebook wallpaper
First, let’s take a look at the basic look of your desktop:
- Right-click anywhere on the Chromebook desktop and select set wallpaper from the menu that appears.
- Click a Google category to view a selection of pre-selected photos, or click the My Pictures option to select a photo from your local storage.
- If you want to change the wallpaper with a new one every day, tap changes daily The button available at the top of all Google Categories pages. (Unfortunately, this option is not currently available for your own photos.)
Customize your browser background
You can also customize which page is displayed each time you open a new tab in your browser:
- Open a new tab in Chrome and click on it chrome customization The button (or the pencil icon) is located in the lower right corner of the browser.
- Choose my knowledge How to choose an image from a Google group or Download from device To select an image from your local storage, then follow the prompts to select and confirm the image you want.
- Choose color and theme How to change the look and background of browser windows. You can choose from a number of pre-set themes, or click on the dropper circle and choose custom colors.
Customize Chromebook Stand
Last but not least, you can control the Chrome OS shelf – the row of shortcuts that looks like a dock at the bottom of the screen. Start by identifying the exact symbols that appear in this area:
- Open the app drawer (by clicking the circle icon in the lower left corner of the screen and then clicking the up arrow in the partial drawer that appears). Right click and select any item in the list Install on the rack.
- To add a website, open the website, click the three-dot menu icon in the upper-right corner of Chrome, then select More toolsfollowed by Create link.
If you want the website to open in an app-like window without the usual browser elements at the top, click open as window one possibility Create link? The popup that appears. Then click the blue button carrying out button.
- Drag an icon on the shelf to change its position.
- Have you decided you don’t want the icon on your shelf after all? Right click on the icon and select it Solve.
And a few more options: If you want your shelf to appear on the left or right side of your screen instead of at the bottom, right-click anywhere inside it and select it rack locationthen select the left or The right thing. And if you want your shelf to remain hidden by default and only appear when you hover over it, right-click on the shelf and select it Auto Hide Shelf Selection.
Update from May 27, 2022 at 9:30AM ET: This article was originally published on October 12, 2019 and has been updated to reflect minor changes in the operating system.
“Social media evangelist. Baconaholic. Devoted reader. Twitter scholar. Avid coffee trailblazer.”