The US government says it is monitoring a “large” Serbian military presence along the border with Kosovo. It includes “unprecedented” artillery and tanks, National Security Council communications director John Kirby said in Washington yesterday. “We call on Serbia to withdraw these forces from the border.”
The US government is concerned about the situation and has been monitoring it for about a week, Kirby said. He described the Serbian military presence on the border as “destabilizing”. No statement can be made at this time about his motive. The Serbs are pressing through diplomatic channels to withdraw their troops.
Kosovo, now almost exclusively inhabited by Albanians, seceded from Serbia with NATO help in 1999 and declared independence in 2008. More than 100 countries recognize independence, but not Serbia, which is reclaiming its former province.
Radoicic acknowledges the attack
Last Sunday, a group of 30 Serbian commandos took up positions in the town of Banjska near Mitrovica and clashed with Kosovo police. Three Serb attackers and a Kosovar police officer were killed.
Today, Kosovo Serb politician and businessman Milan Radovic claimed responsibility for the attack. “I decided to do this because all methods of resistance used so far have not brought any improvement in the life of the Serbian people (in Kosovo, ed.),” he wrote in a statement read to the press by his lawyer. Belgrade today. Radoicic’s current whereabouts are unknown.
“Amateur coffee fan. Travel guru. Subtly charming zombie maven. Incurable reader. Web fanatic.”