After a long argument, American golf star Phil Mickelson will now surely be part of the controversial new tournament series with a total prize money of $200 million from Saudi Arabia. The 51-year-old, six-time grand slam winner confirmed via Twitter that he’s signed a deal with LIV Golf Investments.
Early Thursday, he will compete in the series’ premiere near London. “Lefty” Mickelson is said to be the driving force behind the series, which rivals the American professional PGA organization.
“I’m ready to get back to the game I love. After 32 years, this new track is a fresh start,” said Mickelson, who has not played since February. “Phil Mickelson is one of the greatest golfers of his generation. We are fortunate to have him,” Australian golf icon Greg Norman, president of the new championship series, said.
Previously, former top German golfer Martin Kaymer announced his participation in the “Saudi Tour”, which featured other previous major winners Dustin Johnson (USA), Sergio Garcia (Spain), Louis Oosthuizen and Charles Schwarzl (both from South Africa). Contracted.
The invitation tour organized by former pro Norman and funded by billions of dollars from Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, which took place June 9-11 near London, is dividing the golf world. The powerful PGA wants to ban players from the Saudi series from its tournaments, which include all four. This was announced by Commissioner Jay Monahan.
The start at Centurion Golf Club was awarded a prize money of $25 million, which will be distributed to just 48 professionals. The game is played in just three days. Even the last one gets $120,000, and even the PGA Tour can’t keep up.
“General writer. Twitter fanatic. Award-winning alcohol practitioner. Pop culture guru.”