The Russian Ministry of Defense and the commander of the Russian mercenary force Wagner, Yevgeny Prigozhin, reported allegations that the city of Bakhmut in eastern Ukraine, which has been in battle for weeks, was captured by Russian forces.
“Today, at 12 noon, Bakhmut was completely captured,” Prigozhin said in a video posted on Telegram. The head of the mercenary group announced that the city would be handed over to the Russian army. Wagner’s troops from May 25 withdrew from the city, so Prigozhin.
Hours later, the Russian Defense Ministry also confirmed that it had taken full control of the eastern Ukrainian city. The Russian Defense Ministry announced that the conquest was completed.
Ukraine immediately objected. Senior Ukrainian Armed Forces officers responsible for eastern Ukraine said that Ukrainian soldiers continued to fight in Bakhmut.
In the past few days there have been reports of progress being made by the Ukrainian army around Pakhmut. Information received from the Ukrainian and Russian side cannot be verified.
However, Prigozhin himself said about a week ago that Russian forces had withdrawn from an area near the city. Ukraine had occupied a height in front of the city and controlled the main road to Bakhmut, previously held by Wagner’s mercenaries.
“Food practitioner. Bacon guru. Infuriatingly humble zombie enthusiast. Total student.”
Pope Francis visits the Italian television studio for the first time
Erdogan’s Authoritarian Transformation | DiePress.com
Connecting to Europe: Iraq plans ambitious transportation project