Soccer world champion Lionel Messi has turned down a lucrative offer from Saudi Arabia to join Inter Miami. This was reported by the BBC, “Sports Illustrated” and the Spanish newspaper “Sport” on Wednesday. It was previously known that a transfer to Al-Hilal was “out of the question” for the world footballer of the year. Major League Soccer and Miami co-owner David Beckham have won the race against Messi’s former club FC Barcelona, the club confirmed this evening.
The American League has become more creative with its invitations, an MLS representative told sports portal “The Athletic” in advance. So the MLS offer for Messi comes with payments from two major league sponsors, tech giants Apple and Adidas. A loan arrangement with Messi’s heart club Barcelona is also possible due to different seasons. MLS has its season break in the winter.
“I’ve decided to go to Miami, but I’m not 100 percent done yet. I still miss some things, but we’ve decided to move forward,” Messi said on Wednesday.
Bellingham joined Real Madrid
England international footballer Jude Bellingham is set to switch clubs for a three-figure million fee. Real Madrid have agreed a deal with Borussia Dortmund to sign the 19-year-old midfielder for €103 million. Bellingham moved to Germany in 2020 from English second division club Birmingham for around €25 million.
The professional was recently voted the best player of the 2022/23 season by his Bundesliga peers. In Madrid he is now a club colleague of ÖFB captain David Alaba.