Brazilian soccer star Pele has spoken out from the hospital after worrying reports about his health. “I am strong, I have a lot of hope and I will continue with my treatment as normal,” the 82-year-old wrote on Instagram yesterday. The three-time world champion also thanked everyone for the well-wishes from around the world, which would have given him “a lot of strength”.
Pele was admitted to the hospital on Tuesday to be treated for colon cancer. He was also treated for a respiratory infection.
Health status “stable”
Doctors at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo said on Saturday that Pele’s health is “stable”. “He is adequately responding to treatment for a respiratory infection he had without worsening in the last 24 hours,” he added.
Rumors circulated of a significant deterioration in the 82-year-old’s health. Brazilian media reported that Pele was receiving palliative care. French soccer star Kylian Mbappe then called on Twitter to “pray” for the “king”, and England captain Harry Kane said at a press conference: “We send our best wishes to him and of course his entire family.” The cup’s host nation in Qatar, a picture of Pele making good wishes was displayed on the facades of several buildings.
Edson Arantes do Nascimento, better known as Pele, is considered one of the greatest soccer players of all time. In recent years, the world football champions in 1958, 1962 and 1970 have had health problems again and again. In September 2021, Pele had a polyp removed from his colon, and since then he has had to undergo chemotherapy.
“Food practitioner. Bacon guru. Infuriatingly humble zombie enthusiast. Total student.”