UN Human Rights Commissioner Volker Türk expressed his dismay at the recent developments in the Gaza Strip. Turk said yesterday that the events that occurred during the past 48 hours “beyond imagination.”
In attacks on schools that have been converted into emergency shelters, people will be killed, hundreds will be forced to flee from Al-Shifa Hospital, while hundreds of thousands will be displaced to the southern Gaza Strip. The Human Rights Commissioner said that these events violate the basic protection “that must be afforded to civilians under international law.”
Call for a ceasefire
On Saturday, according to the extremist Islamist movement Hamas, “at least 50 people” were killed in an Israeli attack on the UN-run Al-Fakhoura school, which is being used as a refugee shelter, in the Jabalia refugee settlement in the northern Strip. Gaza strip. According to Türk, at least three other schools housing refugees were attacked within 48 hours.
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights stressed that humanity must come first, and stressed the urgent need for an immediate ceasefire.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres was also horrified by the attacks on UN schools in the Gaza Strip: he felt “deep shock” that two schools had been bombed in less than 24 hours, killing or wounding dozens of people. The victims were many women and children who sought protection in UN buildings. “I repeat that the sanctity of our facilities is inviolable,” Guterres said. He again called for an immediate ceasefire on humanitarian grounds.